Mini Caramel Apple Tortes – Jason Joyner
4 egg whites
2/3 cup white sugar
1 t of Vanilla extract
2-3 Tart Apples small diced
1/4 t of ginger powder
1/8 t nutmeg
Dash of onion powder
Dash of white pepper
2 T of Water
2 T of Becky’s Blissful Bakery Caramel Sauce
Caramel Apples Directions
1. ln a sauce pan mix apples, onion, ginger, white pepper, nutmeg, and water over a medium heat and simmer until apples are tender.
2. When apples are tender remove from heat and let cool.
3. When apples have cooled till they are just warm add Caramel sauce and gently mix so you do not crush the apples.
1. Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Beat egg whites & vanilla on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
2. Put mixture into piping bag with a small star tip and pipe out half dollar size bowls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
3. Place sheets in oven that has been preheated to 275 and cook for 1 hour. After hour has elapsed do not open oven door. Turn off the oven and let meringues sit for another hour.
4. Pull meringues from oven and let cool completely. Store in air tight container until ready to use.
Making the Tortes
1. Place a dollop of apple mixture into each meringue and drizzle a little of the sauce from apple mixture over the top of each torte.
2. You can garnish with candied apple peels, a dash of nutmeg, or dash of cinnamon or any combination of these garnishes
Drizzle with a vanilla custard sauce
Served with a balsamic apple gastrique